You can add a new asset as follows:
- Make sure that you are logged in to the account to which you want to add an asset. (See Switching Accounts if you need to change the parent account.)
- Click in the left sidebar menu.
- Click Assets on the flyout menu that appears.
The Assets screen will appear and list the assets of the account you are logged in to.
- Click Add New at the top right.
The Add Asset dialog box will be displayed.
- Type the name to use for the asset in the Asset Name field. (For vehicles, this is often a number.)
The Account field will be grayed out. You can't change this as the asset is automatically added to the account you are logged in to (refer to step 1).
- Click the Asset Type drop-down arrow and select its type, such as Vehicle.
- If your organization has designated categories, type the category name in the Asset Category field.
- Leave the Asset Status field at its default value of Enabled.
Note: Some customers have a setup in which collecting asset data can be disabled to prevent the asset's use (for example, if their customers have ceased payment), but this won't likely be the case when you are adding a new asset.
- Type further identifying information in the Description field (such as "Cargo container").
- Click the Install Date calendar picker and select the date the asset's device was installed.
Note: If the LMU was just installed, you can leave this at its default value of today's date.
If no device has been installed in the asset, you can open the calendar picker and click Clear to remove the date.
- As this is a new asset (and therefore unlikely to have had an uninstalled device), you can leave the Uninstall Date field empty.
- To associate your new asset with another, existing asset (such as if you are creating a tool asset and are assigning it to the truck it belongs on), click the Assets drop-down arrow and select the other asset.
Note: The available assets will be in the same subaccount as the one you are placing the new asset in.
Alternatively, you can click Use Grid for Selection, select the asset using the dialog box that appears, and click Done in that.
- To assign a device (such as an LMU-3030) to your new asset, click the Device drop-down arrow and select the unit's name from the list.
Note: Before you do so, verify the ESN (electronic serial number) of the LMU (location messaging unit) that has been installed in the new asset.
Again, instead, you can click Use Grid for Selection, select the unit using the dialog box that appears, and click Done in that.
- Scroll down to the asset's Details section.
- If applicable, enter the asset's make, model, and year; its VIN (vehicle identification number); and license plate number in the first five Details fields.
- If applicable, type the asset's odometer value at the time its LMU was installed in the Odometer Reference field — and enter the date that value was recorded in the Odometer Reference Date field using the calendar picker.
Note: CTC Admin will use this reading in the database as a jumping-off point to keep track of the odometer value.
- If you performed step 16, you can leave the Odometer Reference Unit field at Use Default, which will use your default setting for miles or kilometers, or you can click its drop-down arrow and specify one of those to use for odometer data.
- If you have a record of how many hours the asset had already driven in its lifetime when its LMU was installed (and if applicable), type the engine hours value in the Engine Hours Reference field — and enter the date that value was recorded in the Engine Hours Reference Date field using its calendar picker.
Note: Similarly, CTC Admin will use this data as a starting point to keep track of the engine hours value.
- Click Done to create the new asset.